mumsnet

Saturday 17 November 2012

O. S. B.

So the time has come.
In precisely 62 days I will be 40, or as I prefer to call it "mid 30's".

This problem with the ageing process clearly runs in my family.
I remember when my granny was dying, she developed an obsession with having her correct age displayed on her headstone. At the time we put it down to her being in a state of confusion but tried to reassure her that when the time came we would make sure all her details were correct.
Imagine my surprise and indeed that of my family, especially her husband (my dads step-dad), that when she turned 30 she simply decided to knock 5 years off her age. I'm sure you can imagine this did not go down well with the husband who thought he'd married a 25 year old "dolly bird" when in truth she'd been older than him!
I like to think that given the fact he hadn't been the best husband to her this was her final act of revenge and I admit I raised a glass to her that night for her sheer ingenuity.

However, I digress, back to my own mid-life crisis, I've decided I'm going to get fit. I'm going to lose the weight I have gradually gained since becoming a mummy and also the wobbly bits that have appeared, seemingly out of nowehere.
This project has been nicknamed O.S.B (Operation Skinny B*tch to you and me) and I'm determined to do it.
This evening I went to the gym for the first time in ages, admittedly because my hubby, fed up with paying through the nose for a subscription I'm not using, guilt tripped me into it, but when I got there with the intention of just having a swim then a jacuzzi before sloping off back home to watch the boxing (I've been a huge fan for years and can match if not beat most men with my knowledge of the sport) I was apprehended by the lovely Matt who challenged me as to why I never use any of the state of the art gym equipment on offer.
I didnt feel I could tell him that I envisage walking into a gym to be rather like one of those scenes in films when the guy walks into the bar, the music stops and everyone turns to look at "The Newcomer" so I mumbled something about not being sure how everything works and attempted to make my way to the pool for my swim.

Matt was not so easily deterred however so I've been booked in for a one to one session on Tuesday to work out a regime to get me looking like J Lo (I made that last bit up).
If any of you want to come along for the ride (metaphorically speaking of course) then hop on the O.S.B bus. I'll let you know how I get on, in the meantime though, pray for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment